Moving on to a new section enables the girls to continue to grow and develop, try out new activities, develop new ways of working and meet new people. The Girlguiding programme is clearly aimed at a specific age range, and also developed to take the girls along a journey through the section but the actual move on up can still be hard.
Some top tips we have collected to aid transition between sections:
1. Help the girls find out about the next section, what their options are, especially important if you don't have a unit meeting at your meeting place.
2. Hold joint events, our girls went on a moors transition camp aimed at Brownies and Guides in school years 4-7. Our summer beach trip will be open to all girls who come to Loftus units, so they can mix and meet girls in other groups.
3. Prepare them using the resources provided by Girlguiding - pot of gold in Rainbows or Go For It Brownies really help the girls reflect on what they have done and look forward.
4. Talk with the other leaders, where are there spaces available? Are they on the waiting to transfer list? Do they have the girls membership number? What dates suit all parties to aid transition? Can they come up and meet the group in advance?
5. Be excited! Enthuse the girls about the new opportunities that lie ahead, be positive and talk up the new adventure waiting around the corner. We know you are sad to see them go, but your enthusiasm does rub off!